Monday, May 16, 2011

Let’s play, Musical Chairs!



Yeah, it’s been some time now. What the heck, you might as well enjoy Musical Chairs whilst waiting for your dinner. You’ll be thinking, what is this, Flash back time? Not quite, then, maybe it is. Like an episode straight out of your “Trip down memory lanes, thingy” I find myself surrounded by chairs. Only difference, this is a marriage reception and Oh! Here you have to save not only your chair, but your elder aunts and cousins and cousin’s wife and uncles you haven’t met since your last birthday. It’s well know, in fact it might even be in the Unofficial scrolls of Ghorpurian history. We attend any marriage receptions together, as a FAMILY. Some may call it lack of decency or unethical on our part. Fact is, we are a Joint Family.

Coming back to last evening’s event, it was embarrassing! At least in the beginning moments. Here we were, Premo (my younger cousin) and me, guarding our chairs as the music played on. Every now and then a guest walked by and looking at the vacant chairs tried to snatch it. We in turn politely denied them, but after a while we turned blunt in our denials. It wasn’t long till most of the passerby guests knew we were the sole Knights in Shining armor trying to safeguard the chairs (while the music still played on). Personally, I was dead beat, from taking care of the chairs and signaling the guests. We’d be better off employing some poor soul for the job(s). My cousin, though was still filed with zest and gusto, I certainly didn’t share his enthusiasm. Then there arrived another set of chairs (courtesy, the bride’s brother) and just when I thought life would get easier, my dreams of relishing the chicken handi and pulao fell flat on my face. Premo, with his ever so refreshing and annoying smile signals, we still got our work cut out for us. (Gaawd!! I should have opted to be at Dominic’s). 20 minutes pass by and still no sign of our family (Oh, did I forget to mention, they had gone wishing the bride/bridegroom and fishing for food). Just then, hope struck, my aunt walked up to us saying, “Alright boys, your turn, go knock yourselves out, there’s plenty to choose from!!” We nodded in unison and headed towards the stall. Wouldn’t you know it, the foods over. That’s what you get if you invite people from Ghorpuri!

I quit lamenting the defeat, because my elder cousin invited me for a couple of drinks (aaahh my Savior!!) He assured me, “Bandobast ho gaya hain” we will get our share of the dinner. Lord!! I love Family outings.


Cheers!


2 comments:

Vicksblogger said...

:) :). Will this be the Last time you ever Tried to be a Good Boy? :)

Mel said...

Haaa..maybe Virus, just maybe!!