Need I say more. That’s slang talk for you. I never did think about the first time I came across slangs. Maybe it was from watching movies or overhearing my elder cousin with his posse. Needless to say, my Dad wasn’t excited about this whole colloquial speech. Hell! He even barred me from the mere enjoyment of kite flying. His explanation: Kite flying is meant for hooligans and hoodlums. Parental counsel aside, my destiny to slang was irrefutable. Here I am, way past my college days, still my favorite talk is slang talk. Ever wondered, why we cling ourselves to slang? Maybe it’s the individuality or that mental wavelength that comes about, by talking amongst ourselves.
Now, let’s touch up on some slang talk.
Maamz, Maamu, Machaa, Da = Dude, Buddy
Maaadhureee!! = Used to convey astonishment, in a rather exagerated way
Shot ho gaya OR scene ho gaya = some bad occurrence that’s affecting our plans
Kya scene hain? = Whats the plan?
Kya Yaron OR Kya Maamz = What is this dude. (hope I got that right)
Lagh gaye = We’re fucked or (for the uninitiated) We’re in trouble!
Kya Waath lagarah = WTF!
Think you get the picture!
We practically grew up on slang, like most of us did on cricket! Virus had once termed me as a “Slang Dictionary” or something similar.Well, all of us speak slang and I do mean “You All”. The only two or rather three occassions I cant think of are, when:
- With our parents.
- At work while conversing with clients or superiors.
- This one is situational: With your girl (unless off course you got Rakhi Sawant as your girlfriend) I did mention situational!
Another interesting fact about slang, it varies according to where you’re from, where you working, whats your friend circle like. I for one, grasped most of it from my work place(s). By talking slang you make yourself a part of the group, be it at work or new acquantances. I have never come across a situation, where I use slang and the co-workers or friends react harsh or rude. Infact, its gells you in.
In the end slang though crticised by the majority, deep inside they all know “Mammaa!!” even I used to speak like that.
Cheers!
1 comment:
God Dammmit!!! Dint enable the comments. Thanks to Virus, its now done.
Post a Comment