Thursday, April 14, 2011

The compatibility question



I know what you’re thinking, the age old dilemma when it comes to relationships. No! In fact this is more to do with the vibes that go between our friends circle and someone new to our group. It has gone if not drastically negative, then partially abysmal. It doesn’t matter if he is a friend’s cousin or my cousin, it always goes wrong. Somehow, I felt, these encounters should be shared.

Now, most of these friends are good people at heart. Where they really fail at, is getting along on outings or over a couple of drinks. Mind you, it doesn’t get violent or into physical confrontation. It’s just that aura all around and in between us. The instant where Vicky (one of the friends in the group) feels the outside party’s jokes are not funny at all, Tony, Domnic or I feel the same. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s more than that mental wave length talk. It’s as if, we’re synchronized in one a sort of karmic way. You know, like you get the computer synchronized with the windows phone. I know it may be weird but, it happens every time a cousin or friend’s friend joins us on an outing. I can literary count the number of acquaintances that have failed to connect with us. I am in no way criticizing those friends, merely saying that, it never gets through, rather it’ll never get through.

There is this really popular joke amongst us. It’s the “Slip-Up”. thefreedictionary.com defines it as: “A minor inadvertent mistake usually observed in speech or
writing or in small accidents or memory lapses etc.” Let me assure you, these happen with us every time. Here are a couple of examples: MB pronounced as Amby, then for Legend its Ledend, Here’s one of my favorites: In Hindi there’s a word Gunaah. Here’s how SuperAnnaa aka Shirish said it. “Yeh bahut badaah Junaah hain, Junaah hain, Junaah hain.” That’s right he repeated that thrice. Maybe, it doesn’t seem funny right now, but at the moment and even now for that matter it makes us burst out in laughter. The slip-ups aren’t limited to SuperAnnaa or Vicky “The Virus” Frantz, although Virus is almost always the culprit. It extends to Domnic, Tony, Rinson and yours truly. But nevertheless these jokes never gasped by the outside party, infact it creates a sense of barrier.

There are many other jokes that are only understood by us. I’ll try keeping it short. Peter (my cousin) once asked Domnic to transfer pics from the digital camers to Domnic’s mobile (instructing via bluetooth). How about the time when Domnic’s talking with Annaa assuming he is listening (and Anna is facing Domnic), but Domnic asks him for a response, he replies “Mere se baat karraa kya ?” That has happened thrice in 2 days. If I could keep count, I end up with a Bible of sorts.

As this page is about the friends who couldn’t get along or came close to be part of our group, I feel obliged to mention their names.

  • Deepak (Umesh’s cousin)
  • Peter (My cousin)
  • Vinod (SuperAnnaa’s cousin)
  • Sameer (Rinson’s friend)

Now for the like minded twats.

  • Shirish aka SuperAnnaa
  • Domnic
  • Vicky “The Virus” Frantz
  • Tony
  • Rudi (Rudolph)
  • Rinson
  • Umesh
  • Melvin

Alas, those days are gone, possibly forever. With Virus in Singapore and a great rift created between us, there seems to be no resolve. I don’t think Virus’ famous quote “God’s Grace” either is going to bridge the gap.

Miss them days, sorely. Thanks you guys!! I shall meet you again Up Above or Down Below.

-Mel

No comments: